Bytecoin vs Zerocoin vs Dark Coin vs..

Discussion of math, cryptography, protocol, and features

Re: Bytecoin vs Zerocoin vs Dark Coin vs..

Postby Maurice.P » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:41 am

Johnny Mneumonic wrote:If one party identifies himself, then associations could be made to possibly identify interacting parties.

Yes, indeed, but this property is derived from the ring signature definition. Everyone has a right to prove that he is not the author of the signature (except for the real signer, of course). There are actually several options:

1) You can spend your own input with ambiguity degree of 0, therefore de-anonymizing yourself and excluding your public key from the list of possible senders of other transactions.

2) Alternatively, you can sign the arbitrary data with another ring signature, but with the same set of public keys: it proves that you are not the same person who create the first signature (different key images). In this case you still remain anonymous.

We do not believe that minimal ambiguity degree is a good solution, as we cannot forbid anyone to spend his money in any way he wants, even publicly and non-anonymously. However, such actions will not compromise the other person's privacy. It will be safe unless all the users, whose public keys had been used, de-anonymize themselves. Moreover, since foreign outputs' selection is a random process, you are very unlikely to find yourself in a situation like this.
Maurice.P

Postby Maurice.P » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:50 am

ochtend wrote:As I understood ring signatures mix your transaction with the old ones (which are already in the block chain). What if I want to anonymously spend a non-round amount of coins (e.g. 123456 BCN) and there were no such sums in block chain history? How will ring signature hide my transaction? Is there any notification service, which can tell me if somebody just spent such amount, so I can mix my transaction?

Kuno explained it perfectly, this is exactly how the transaction will appear in your wallet. Ring signature actually mixes outputs, not transactions. In this way all of the inputs would have round sums sorted in descending order. Therefore, it is easy for you to find foreign outputs with the same amounts and hide each of your inputs among them with almost any ambiguity degree.
Maurice.P

Postby viinnii » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:29 pm

And how does the size of transactions increase due to several inputs?
viinnii

Postby Maurice.P » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:31 pm

viinnii wrote:And how does the size of transactions increase due to several inputs?

The transaction size is indeed larger. However, similar outputs with the same round sums is perfect for:

1) easier ring signature creation
2) higher privacy level

The size of the transaction is several times larger, but, on the other hand, it is also affected by the ring signature, so there is no point in trying to cut it down.
Maurice.P

Postby MRSpock » Fri May 23, 2014 8:37 pm

The dev of Darkcoin which is Litcoin based, has announced that he aims to implement Ring signatures into version 2 of Darkcoin. Do you think thats possible? How hard could it be?
MRSpock

Postby Maurice.P » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:48 pm

I'll rephrase Pliskov on the issue:

CryptoNote's features cannot be easily merged with the Darkcoin codebase. An individual trying to implement such a change would have to re-write all the cryptographic functions, change the transaction structure, add a lot of new features, etc.

Thus, such amount of changes would require Darkcoin's hard fork to go live. Of course, this can be implemented on the regular basis, but the amount of work required is tremendous
Maurice.P

Postby djkie1132 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:31 am

I had a recent talk with this American speaker about tax liens investment My questions are would it be alright if there would be a cryptonote code for a side or code that I will be doing

Would it be alright for a coding platform?

Thank you for suggestions and thank you admin
djkie1132

Postby Maurice.P » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:43 pm

Hi,
I checked your link; What exactly you want to do with CryptoNote and tax lien certificates?
Maurice.P

Postby JeffStrehlowwwwww » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:17 pm

[quote="ochtend"]As I understood ring signatures mix your transaction with the old ones (which are already in the block chain). What if I want to anonymously spend a non-round amount of coins (e.g. 123456 BCN) and there were no such sums in block chain history? How will ring signature hide my transaction? Is there any notification service, which can tell me if somebody just spent such amount, so I can mix my transaction?

Thanks![/quote]
I believe that Kuno is correct. I may be wrong, but assume that the cryptonote algorithum takes transaction values and automatically breaks them up into standard values that are rounded like 4000 or 20,000. Instead of there just being one transfer for a transaction there are several transfers of these standard values. The sum of all these standard values add up to the transaction amount. That makes it a lot easier to find other transfers with the same values.
JeffStrehlowwwwww

Previous

Return to Technology