Official CryptoNote repository

Technical discussions related to CryptoNote repository and the forking process

Official CryptoNote repository

Postby Catherine_Erwin » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:27 pm

Here is an official CryptoNote repository:
https://github.com/cryptonotefoundation/cryptonote

Please note, there is no coin built around this source code as it has all the constants left out. It is merely a reference repository for forking. See the full guide here:
http://cryptonotestarter.org

To see the reference code implemented in the coin, check out http://cryptonote-coin.org
Catherine_Erwin

Re: Official CryptoNote repository

Postby zone117x » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:56 pm

I hate to be stepping on anyone's feet here but I think this is a bad idea. Anyone who needs this level of hand-holding to fork bytecoin/monero to create an altcoin should NOT be creating an altcoin. Actually - who am I to say who should be doing what.. what I mean is: an altcoin's long term value/success is dependent on the dev and dev community behind the coin.

I'm extremely skeptical of this "start your own cryptonote altcoin" initiative resulting in anything that has long term value/purpose.

Edit: what WOULD be nice though is if you guys worked on a fresh new GOOD software foundation for cryptonote technology. I think the tech is really cool but from what I've seen the Bytecoin implementation is poor code and a lot of the work the Monero devs have been doing has just been cleaning up the Bytecoin implementation. Or perhaps, like what a lot of people have been asking for, is some commenting/documenting/deobfuscation of the bytecoin reference code.
zone117x

Postby Quanttek » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:14 am

I have to agree on zone's comment. It isn't healty for CN to have hundreds of shitcoins destroying the reputation of CryptoNote. Instead writing a proper documentation or forming a foundation to support CN coins (, while distinguishing shitcoins from good ones (ie. Monero and Aeon/Quazar)) is the way to go. With a proper documentation/"commentation" of the code, you allow good devs to create their unique CN-coin, without having to dive into the poor and obfuscated BCN code, while still having a defense of knowledge against shitcoins.
CN doesn't has the first-mover-advantage of BTC and so shitcoins can't just get ignored. Hope you rethink your strategy

Thanks,

Quanttek
Quanttek

Postby Theseus » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:21 pm

Catherine_Erwin wrote:[...]
There is an issue in Bitcoin, for instance, which we see as one of its major drawbacks. The core team seems to be too small to keep maintaining the code base efficiently, while the majority of the services and activists is focused on spreading the word about their businesses. This narrow interest is what we fear might happen to CryptoNote. That is why we are eager to persist this technology-driven development. I hope this clarifies our position.

I'm quoting you because it seems to me that since that Monero appeared on the market, there was a complete shift in your philosophies. At first, you've attacked Monero because it did not bring any technological experiments to its Cryptonote implementation. Then, you've understood how important openness and transparency was in order to achieve goal of mass adoption. Today, it seems that all you are trying to achieve through the creation of a news section and user-friendly tools to fork is marketing.

Is the CN team now entirely focused on activism instead of creating good foundation software ? I fear the narrow interest is spreading. Confusion too.
Theseus

Postby Catherine_Erwin » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:33 pm

In short,

We act in accordance with our vision and values. CryptoNote strategy is evolving as it and the community is passing through the different development phases. We are currently working on the foundation, which will be announced in due time. Also the code and the cryptographic protocol are still being documented.

We're not surprised with your response.

First of all, I suggest you re-read our philosophy: https://cryptonote.org/inside.php#philosophy

CryptoNote mission is to provide you with the tools that could be used to subvert the paradigm and decentralize the international financial system. Such radical innovation should not be grown from within one center, it requires a lot of contributors to become a trend. We are concerned with strategic issues of the whole platform not a single coin, which is only a tiny part of the ecosystem that is being crafted at the moment. The advent of CryptoNote allowed to create first truly anonymous currencies, but the goal is to create a fair financial system.

We have stated it multiple times and I'm going to repeat it once again, we will never launch or maintain a real currency. We've opened this opportunity for the community to create and grow their own CryptoNote coins and let the market and developers teams decide which one is going to succeed and become the main CryptoNote currency. We're not jumping on this "train", we're working hard to create the rails for it and won't be lured away from our mission. That is why we are not going to specifically promote any of the existing currencies, and you have to face it.

Unfortunately, the community is using decentralized currencies but still operates within centralized financial system frame. While proponents of Bitcoin or any other particular currencies try to focus their efforts and create yet another centralized financial asset, we envision a much larger picture with a lot of co-existing cryptocurrencies, corporate currencies, private currencies, community currencies, niche currencies, etc. Consider Auroracoin and how it was proposed to educate Iceland on cryptocurrencies and create liquidity out of nowhere. This trend will be reinforced with more and more national and regional coins launching. A truly decentralized financial system requires a number of stable and fair currencies, not a single one.

According to our roadmap it is time for new CryptoNote currencies to emerge so that the whole CryptoNote platform becomes more stable and diversified. Apart form what I've mentioned above, this will also lead to more significant contribution from the community and much faster technology development. We're already working on the crypto protocol documentation to help you, but this will take some time. What you are largely misunderstanding is that CryptoNote is still relatively raw as the technology and requires more attention to gain momentum.

Having said that, CryptoNoteCoin will not be a sustainable coin. You can be sure that we know what we are talking about. Actual implementation may vary. For instance, genesis block will be changed everyone month, which will break the previously mined block chain. We'll also give a way a lot of the coin for free for the newbies to give CryptoNote a try and then move on to the currencies that you create or support.
Catherine_Erwin

Postby Catherine_Erwin » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:47 pm

The official CryptoNote repository has been updated to include smart genesis block creation. Previously, it was required to comment and uncomment some parts of the source code. With our new currency creation flow, genesis block coinbase tx hash is created as follows:

1) Follow the forking guide and define all the parameters for your currency except for GENESIS_COINBASE_TX_HEX in /src/cryptonote_config.h. You should leave it blank:

Code: Select all
#define GENESIS_COINBASE_TX_HEX               ""

2) Compile the binaries.

3) Start the daemon with the --print-genesis-tx argument:

cryptonotecoind --print-genesis-tx

The daemon will print out the genesis block coinbase transaction hash.

4) Insert the printed out tx hash to GENESIS_COINBASE_TX_HEX in src/cryptonote_config.h

#define GENESIS_COINBASE_TX_HEX               "013c01ff0001ffff...785a33d9ebdba68b0"

5) Recompile the binaries. You are now ready to announce and launch your coin.
Catherine_Erwin

Postby Catherine_Erwin » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:46 am

We've published 2 convenient tools to help you launch the coin on CryptoNote Starter:

1. Emission calculator to help you compare your coin's emission to Bitcoin's one:

2. Prefix address generator to help you make all coin's address start with the same letter sequence:

Link to the tools: https://cryptonotestarter.org/tools.html
Catherine_Erwin

Postby Catherine_Erwin » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:27 pm

CryptoNote Starter has a new section added. The "Knowledge base" covers all the basics of operating a CryptoNote currency in addition to the forking guide. Currently, the sections covered are:

• general binaries overview
  • testnet
  • payment processing
  • mining pool deployment.
New articles will be published based on the community requests.

Please, let us know what you think.

Link to the knowledge base: https://cryptonotestarter.org/kb/
Catherine_Erwin

Return to Reference Code & Forking