Monero

CryptoNote currencies announcements and official reviews

Monero

Postby surfer43 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:42 pm

Coin name: Monero (monero is coin in the Esperanto language)
Ticker: MRO
Website link: monero.cc
Public discussion links: Bitcointalk (current) and Bitcointalk (original)
Source code: https://github.com/bitmonero-project/bitmonero
Specifications:
  • fork of Bytecoin
  • PoW algorithm: CryptoNight (64-bit CPU-only)
  • Max supply: ~18.4 million (a minimum subsidy may be implemented in the future)
  • Difficulty: retargets at every block
  • Emission schedule has a flatter curve (~80% mined within 4 years instead of 2 years with BCN). Currently under discussion is a proposal to further slow down the curve in a fair way that avoids any advantage to early adopters
  • Block reward: Smoothly varying using the formula (264 - 1 - A) * 2-20 * 10-12, where A = supply mined to date
  • Block target = 60 seconds
  • Initial penalty-free block size is increased
  • Decimal point has been moved from BCN for similarity with BTC (18.4 million max supply instead of 184 billion). This is purely a UI change - technically there will be 264 - 1 atomic units (roughly 1019)

It was originally called 'Bitmonero'. This was changed to 'Monero' per community consensus. I am not the creator of this coin.
surfer43

Re: Monero

Postby Catherine_Erwin » Tue May 06, 2014 11:36 am

We really appreciate your interest in CryptoNote and your urge to create something worthwhile.

However, we've been following Bitcointalk discussion of Bitmonero/Monero and we're still undecided whether adding this coin as a CryptoNote implementation would be a proper decision at this time. It took us almost a week to reach a consensus among the team, so we apologize for the delay. We do believe that the time will come for you to be added, but at the moment there is a couple of questions for you to think about:

1) If CryptoNote supports new technologies and the advent of new technological era, what is the contribution of this coin? How does it make CryptoNote technology prosper? What is that you have created?

2) Why does this coin have 2 websites, 2 official threads, 2 announcements, 2 reps? Was it worthwhile after all to use someone else's work and try to take over the control afterwards and split the community?

As you can see, for example, HoneyPenny coin in another thread on this forum proposes new ideas for the technology. Moreover, they were contacting us before the launch.

We do wish to see more CryptoNote-based coins, but hope that their creators would be more in line with our vision and keep their personal ambitions and greed low.

Please, correct me if we've got anything wrong.
Catherine_Erwin

Postby Keyboard-Mash » Wed May 07, 2014 10:12 am

To not even make an attempt at uniting would be a massive error. This also means that your concerns should be addressed correctly and directly:

CryptoNote wrote:1) If CryptoNote supports new technologies and the advent of new technological era, what is the contribution of this coin? How does it make CryptoNote technology prosper? What is that you have created?

I see a valid point raised here that I can, in the least, share my thoughts on. First, we have decided to take an open and transparent approach to introducing CryptoNote built on direct and constant communication. Though there may have been both direct and constant communication shared by alternatives, it was not open nor transparent. In fact it was the complete opposite, as we were told to be silent -- a statement that has not been vouched for on the main page despite many members leaving the community.

With the intent of mass adoption -- openness is the major first step. We were placed in a situation where this can only be achieved with a fork in the first place, publicly available and ready to be shared by as representative of a majority as possible. Sitting around and listening to the Rocky theme song all day just doesn't cut it when you're trying to spread the word about something that should otherwise be shifting a paradigm.

Second, CryptoNote technology prospers by putting more minds on it. The more liberal spread of information, despite the threat of impending surveillance, between people fosters an environment that is conducive to building a proper foundation for this technology. Very soon, there will be a functional GUI environment to further the "seep into the mass" as I've read it sickeningly called.

It's not very easy to come up with many ways CryptoNote can directly prosper, because there does not seem to be an environment present that can assist in defining exactly what that philosophy is. Answers can't come days in-between, because MRO is here now and is dynamic -- something I find lacking in this philosophy I'd like further defined (Though I don't really know where to start, just more overall would be great).

Lastly, what we have provided is a vessel by which the technology can reach the masses -- something that has been made to appear as both impossible and unwanted by the current standing of the first realization of your philosophy. This vessel will be accompanied by tools which the masses are concerned with -- optimizations, GUI environments, possible GPU adaption in the short term. I am sure beyond doubt there will be others -- but generally utilizing the mass has and will provide innovations on levels that could never be considered or thought of in closed communities.

But, as none of these really exist yet, I feel you are correct in waiting to accept the coin.

CryptoNote wrote:2) Why does this coin have 2 websites, 2 official threads, 2 announcements, 2 reps? Was it worthwhile after all to use someone else's work and try to take over the control afterwards and split the community?

This, I feel should be addressed by Tacotime. The short answer is that, in a coin that favors the mass, the mass speaks for the coin. Not one guy who wants to merge mine it with everything and certainly not one person with personal aspirations or greed. If everyone wanted merge mining, there would be one coin rather than two -- an interesting result of development in a dynamic environment rather than a static one.

CryptoNote wrote:We do wish to see more CryptoNote-based coins, but hope that their creators would be more in line with our vision and keep their personal ambitions and greed low

I would love this to be explained, because I do not understand what is being said. The comment is rather vague and can be applied to any situation.

Do I call the dog greedy for wanting the food? To what extent do personal ambitions cross over into existential ambitions? The comment spurs many more questions than it needed to -- which means it needs to be further defined before I can take any meaning from it (Will prevent myself from entertaining the statement in my mind until it's explained - if you'd be kind enough to do so).
Keyboard-Mash

Postby Catherine_Erwin » Thu May 08, 2014 10:56 am

Thank you for the great answer, Keyboard-Mash!

Perhaps we were slightly over-focused on the technology experiments. What you are doing to spread the word about CryptoNote can actually be even more important and we urge you to proceed. We see your point in blaming BCN's developers for their own vision on cryptocurrencies.

There is an issue in Bitcoin, for instance, which we see as one of its major drawbacks. The core team seems to be too small to keep maintaining the code base efficiently, while the majority of the services and activists is focused on spreading the word about their businesses. This narrow interest is what we fear might happen to CryptoNote. That is why we are eager to persist this technology-driven development. I hope this clarifies our position.

However, there is an quarrel in your community, which makes us hesitate at the moment. It's about naming, community split, and lack of developers to keep the progress of the coin going. Would you clarify on that?
Catherine_Erwin

Postby David Latapie » Mon May 12, 2014 7:41 am

My colleague eizh summed it up quite well:

eizh on Bitcointalk wrote:This is actually as confusing to us as you. At one point, thankful_for_today said he was okay with name change:

Then he disappeared for more than a week after the merge mining vote failed. [Four] days ago he PM'd us saying he regretted not listening to the community more and about working together. We proposed setting up a sourceforge for MRO to have a mailing list, which thankful_for_today said he would do. Then all of a sudden there was a PM followed by the same posted on here implying the old name was still in effect. And I don't know what else that entails.

That's pretty much it. There's no other behind-the-scenes discussion between him and us. thankful_for_today is often gone and acts a bit strange sometimes, but he's not malicious at all. So I think this will sort itself out fine. Ideally, he'll stay as a dev and contribute to the github (anyone can do that by the way -- this project is now completely decentralized).

Yesterday, the first cryptonote-accepting exchange went live (http://cryptonote.exchange.to) and the first Monero pools are being finalized as I speak.
David Latapie

Postby fluffypony » Mon May 12, 2014 8:57 am

Yeah I don't get the feeling that there's anything malicious going on. I think there's a bit of confusion from thankful_for_today, and maybe he's also busy and feeling a bit left out of the whole process. MRO continues, and as the first CryptoNote-based currency that has an actual operating exchange it puts us out in the forefront. Individuals who don't care about mining can actually buy MRO, which is a huge advantage. Plus the network hash rate is at 177kh/s at the moment, that's a lot of hash:)
fluffypony

Postby Catherine_Erwin » Mon May 12, 2014 12:41 pm

We have reviewed everything that is going on with the community and other CryptoNote coins. As Bitmonero/Monero is contributing to the development of applied aspects we're going to officially announce it as a CryptoNote currency.

We hope that the current confusion will be figured out among the community members.

However, we need a logo to add to the website. At least, 50x50 px.
Catherine_Erwin

Postby Pandher » Mon May 12, 2014 1:42 pm

Catherine_Erwin wrote:We have reviewed everything that is going on with the community and other CryptoNote coins. As Bitmonero/Monero is contributing to the development of applied aspects we're going to officially announce it as a CryptoNote currency.

We hope that the current confusion will be figured out among the community members.

However, we need a logo to add to the website. At least, 50x50 px.

Thanks, that is some good news
Pandher

Postby Francecrypto » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:11 am

I have uploaded the current logo with the formats 150x150, 100x100 and 50x50 you can just save them from here

150x150

100x100

50x50

Francecrypto

Postby Lost my passwords » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:42 pm

I'm going to cross-post the weekly updates from Monero here:

monero wrote:Monero Missives

June 2nd, 2014

This is the start of a slightly more formal way of keeping everyone updated as to what we're doing in Monero. On an ongoing weekly basis we'll post an update on what has happened over the past week, as well as a dev diary highlighting work done on major efforts. If you'd like to get involved with Monero don't ask for permission - just get stuck in:) Fork the repo, make changes, submit a pull-request, and let's discuss it.

Also an important note on updates: Our policy is to only provide announcements on projects which are either complete or near completion. We'd like to focus on providing you with the most accurate and reliable news, without generating any type of investor hype or speculation. As Monero is still a project in its infancy, and there is a great deal of work still to be done, we want to make sure you are getting an honest overview of our ongoing progress.

Major Updates

1. The big one...we have a logo! If you use Monero in any of your projects, you can grab a branding pack here. You can also see it in all its glory right here:

[center]Image[/center]

2. With our logo completed, we are going to be moving forward on a major overhaul and redesign of our website. We are also in the process of architecting and designing a better repository of information - which includes a forum-style that allows for both discussion, as well an open-source, crowd-funded development incubator. We will be keeping you updated on our progress in the coming weeks. In the meantime, the best place for threaded discussions are the /r/monero subreddit, and for live discussions join us on Freenode: #monero for general chat, #monero-dev for development efforts, and #monero-otc for price talk and over-the-counter trades.

3. The pool bounty has now closed, and was awarded to zone117x and LucasJones for their excellent work on the Node CryptoNote pool. You can see the results of their hard work on their github repo here or, you know, just use pretty much any of the Monero mining pools:)

4. In order to maintain ISO 4217 compliance, we are changing our ticker symbol from MRO to XMR effective immediately. This change primarily effects exchanges at this early stage, as we are sure that MRO will continue to be used colloquially and in general discussion. We are aware that this may cause a little confusion, but we feel it necessary to make this change early on rather than later when Monero is more widely spread.

Dev Diary

RPC: Neozaru and others have submitted pull requests to add RPC methods that were missing.

I2P: libssu has been decoupled, and outstanding changes to master have been merged.

Core: just a reminder that there are breaking changes to 0.8.8 to prevent a transaction dust attack on the block reward. Because of the block reward penalty, it was previously possible to constantly reduce the block reward down to nearly zero, which is what has been fixed. You can see this quite dramatically on the Block Reward chart on monerochain.info where our average block reward plummeted by around 13% on May 25 - 27 as the fix was tested, deployed, and miners began adopting it. Please don't forget that simplewallet using the older code will not add the correct transaction fees, causing transactions to sit in the mempool for several days before being rejected.

Core: initial work has begun on documenting the code and on providing architecture overviews. This will be a relatively lengthy project, but will provide us with a more useful codebase that has had more eyes on it.

Crypto: we have also begun an initial foray into examining the underlying cryptographic and mathematic principles of the CryptoNote protocol, and ensuring that it has been correctly implemented in the reference code (Bytecoin - upon which Monero is based). We will reveal more details as this project progresses.

Crypto: DGA has done an incredible job of optimising the PoW hashing code, and has vastly improved the speed at which it operates. This makes syncing the blockchain faster, as well as improves the speed at which miners can run and pools can verify work.

Mining: Wolf` has worked hard on optimising and tweaking LucasJones miner. If you are mining, it is strongly suggested you give Wolf's fork of cpuminer-multi a spin. Because it takes advantage of AES-NI you may find that reducing the number of threads down to around half of the number of cores in your computer is the most efficient.

We'd also like to take the time to introduce you to our core team (in no particular order) - tacotime, eizh, smooth, fluffypony, othe, davidlatapie, NoodleDoodle

Many others are involved in peripheral and related projects, including: zone117x, Neozaru, LucasJones, Wolf`, Quanttek, and so many others

Thank you for your hard work if you have been involved in Monero already, and we look forward to continuing to innovate as keep Monero the most secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency!
Lost my passwords

Next

Return to Announcements