Anyone else find this to happen?

General discussion of CryptoNote based currencies and issues.

Anyone else find this to happen?

Postby mikenekro » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:16 am

I noticed, for myself, that building on Windows was not only significantly more difficult to build on, but it kept freezing my computer.

I have an Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit Virtual machine running on 1 core, 125GB HD and 2GB RAM. Building a cryptonote coin on Ubuntu only took roughly 30 mins or so from a fresh build using only the "make" command.

My windows 7 64-bit machine is my primary OS and I had all 4 cores running, with most of my hard drive free, a mid to high end GPU and 12GB RAM msvc had a hard time building the projects even singular. There was absolutely no hope to build the whole thing in 1 build. Even then, every 5 or so builds of individual projects, the processor would max out 100%, freeze the screen and "stop build" would not even work.

Eventually I got everything to build but I'm not looking forward to doing it again lmao.

I love cryptonote technology and I know this isn't cryptonotes fault, but building on windows kind of sucks with my computer. If you have a fix I would like to hear it. Otherwise time to get an 8-core CPU.
mikenekro

Re: Anyone else find this to happen?

Postby Maurice.P » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:00 pm

It kept freezing your computer because you use all the cores during project building. Visual Studio let you limit the number of cores in use (Tools->Options->Projects and Solutions->VC++ Project Settings->Maximum concurrent C++ compilations).
But it's better to have more powerful computer to build C++ projects ;)
Maurice.P

Re: Anyone else find this to happen?

Postby mikenekro » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:26 pm

mikenekro

Return to General Discussion